Thursday, July 05, 2012

francais au bord des grands lacs*: 1e jour

Mme Ann Sunderland, President of the American Association of Teachers of French (AATF), peering at my name badge at the exhibit hall opening reception: Have we met?  Your name sounds so familiar to me!
Me: No, I don't believe so, but I certainly recognize your name.  It's nice to meet you.
Mme Sunderland: Oh, I know!  You're from the library.  We sure don't get many librarians at this conference!
Me, to myself: And I bet that when you do, they haven't dragged their whole family along.  6:00 already? Oh, I'd better chug this wine--it's time to go feed Gwyneth!

Oui, here I am attending my first teachers' conference in a year and a half, the first national one since before Griffin was born (I'm not counting ACTFL in Denver in November, where I put in an appearance for an hour to give a last-minute presentation and then left without seeing anything else).

Since we spend Fourth of July with my extended family every year in Wisconsin, when I learned that the AATF convention would be in Chicago this year, I talked my husband into concluding our trip with a couple of days in the Windy City.  "You can take the kids to museums!  The hotel pool!  Chicago-style pizzerias!  Chicago-style, um, hot-dog-erias!  It would be sooooo helpful for my French and my efforts to teach it to our children if I could spend a few days speaking French with other grown-ups--and a whole lot easier and cheaper than taking the family to Europe!  Or even Quebec!"
After I promised not to fill up an entire suitcase with purchases from the exhibits hall, we decided to fly from Denver to Chicago, rent a car, drive to Green Bay, spend the week with my parents, and then return to Chicago, where we are now after a challenging day traveling with two little ones.

While I ended up missing the sessions this afternoon, I so enjoyed roaming the exhibits hall this evening, glass of wine in hand, looking at materials that I never even knew existed, like a board game reminiscent of Chutes and Ladders but set in Paris.  (Links to come later.)

And to my surprise (and perhaps Mme Sunderland's), I ended up meeting a man who works at a library in Queens (New York City) who is in charge of their programming for immigrants and acquisitions (purchases) in 30 languages!  Turns out that his library even offers a Reading Buddies program similar to the one I coordinate back home.

We're probably the only two library employees here, though.

I did like being able to tell people that I helped create and run our library's first French storytime!  The approval-from-strangers rate is quite high at a French teachers' conference.

I will also mention that it was a relief to be able to walk past the booths selling middle and high school textbooks or study abroad and class trips programs, things that I simply don't need to know about any more.

Vendor 1: Excuse me!  What level do you teach?
Moi: Preschoolers.  Do you have any materials for children who don't read yet?
Vendor 1: Quoi? Non!

Vendor 2: Excuse me!  Are you interested in taking your students to Morocco?
Moi: Oui!
Vendor 2: Fantastique!
Moi: Do you have programs for preschoolers?
Vendor 2: Quoi? Non!

I got a few funny looks, but it's more efficient not to have to engage in small talk and then walk away with brochures that I end up toting home from the conference since there's never a place to recyle paper at hotels.

Tomorrow morning: my presentation, Francais a la maison!

*The conference theme is "French on the shores of the Great Lakes": we're in Chicago on Lake Michigan.  I'll post about the second and third days when I get a chance to catch my breath and catch up on work now that we're back home.

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to finding out how your presentation went!
    I wish your site had been here when I was homeschooling my youngest two in French before we came out here. It's such an inspriation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph! I'm having fun reading your blog (meteorites in France--who knew?!).

      The presentation went well and I'll write about it when I recover from the trip and get caught up at work....

      Delete
  2. I am working with preschoolers and primary school children in Haiti and would like to find sites (other than Amazon) offering bilingual books in French-English or French books identical to the English version--such as the French version paralleling The Cat in the Hat. Need to order in quantity so must be reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara--Scholastic is a company that distributes inexpensive children's books exclusively for schools and libraries; while I doubt that Scholastic in the US has French or bilingual books, I know that their Canadian branch does.

      Do the schools you're providing books to have computers with internet access? If so, there are quite a few free websites featuring books for kids in French, some with narration and/or interactive components:

      http://babybilingual.blogspot.com/2010/08/free-books-and-stories-and-fables-and.html

      Bonne chance! The work you're doing is so important.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Barefoot Books has some cute, easy bilingual books about a Bear in various places. They might offer a bulk discount, especially your nonprofit educational organization.

      Delete
  3. Sarah,

    I am in the process of publishing Bilingual Baby Books.
    The series of baby books will be available in French, Italian and Spainish. These books offer simple words and phrases in a 2nd language alongside vibrant illustrations for children 0-4 yrs old. It is a great way for parents to introduce a 2nd language to their child and learn the language as well. GREAT FOR PRESCHOOL!!!!

    I was wondering if you would be interested in doing a bilingual baby book review of my books on your blog?

    ReplyDelete