Tuesday, April 24, 2012

French for kids: my first official class (as a teacher!)

For six or seven years now this idea has been simmering: could I offer French classes for very young children?

Oui and non.  "Could" is the kicker--I have ideas, resources, storytime experience, teaching and tutoring experience, more ideas, even a kid-friendly basement space to hold the classes--but I'd have to put Griffin and Gwyneth in daycare another half-day a week, and I'm not willing to give up more time with them right now.   Once they're in school, though....

However, this doesn't mean that I can't dip my orteils in the eau.  In June, I will be teaching a four-session French class to two four-year-olds!  (I donated the lessons as a silent auction item at a fundraiser for WOW, our local children's museum.)

What a win-win situation: the high bidder--who was in fact the only bidder--gets a short course at a bargain price, we can claim a tax deduction for the full value of the lessons, and I am forced to stop wondering "what if...." and just do try it without the hassle of recruiting students!

The only major probleme with this: since it won't happen till June, that leaves me a month and a half to plan and replan and research and rethink the class!  It would actually be much easier to have to start teaching tomorrow.

(On the other hand, it gives me time to try out some ideas on Griffin and friends at French storytime and playgroup, plus an excuse to buy more puppets and French stuff for kids....)

In the meantime, two recent pictures of my inspiration for these efforts:





10 comments:

  1. Sarah

    Have a look at my friend's website. she just set up her own little business doing this. she used to be a teacher too.
    www.lingotot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lingotots looks like a great idea for a business! I like how she describes the way she has divided the classes by ages and activities. Wishing her luck in her new business--the more classes like this, the more people will become aware of the fact that children can learn other languages as toddlers and preschoolers.

      Delete
  2. Does your local Alliance Francaise offer courses and might they need instructors? I taught classes for 4-8 year old children in 8- or 10-week sessions, for 1.5 hours on Saturday mornings. It was a little tough to give up lazy Saturday mornings, but it worked for me because I didn't have to worry about additional child care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey, and welcome to a fellow American teacher of French!

      There's an AF in Denver--a 40-minute-or-so drive--and I've contemplated having Griffin take classes there, but haven't found a way to make it happen with my work schedule. Now, though, I think it would be very good for me to see what they do.

      However, they would be very unlikely to hire me, I think, since I'm not a native speaker. How did you get the gig at your AF? Did they provide lesson plans or could you structure the class as you liked?

      Delete
  3. I feel EXACTLY the same! I've been wanting to teach Spanish to little kids for some time now. I have all kinds of ideas on how to work it out, but have never gotten up the courage. And I'm a perfectionist type, too, and would do the classes over and over in my head if I had that much time.
    I'm sure you will do a fabulous job and those kids will learn a lot! Can't wait to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your faith in me! Okay, I'll try it if you will....

      Delete
  4. There must be something in the air! Have you read Bonne Mama's recent post - or mine, for that matter? The idea is to create language themes for teaching our own children. Not exactly the same, but I'm sure we could all benefit from sharing our ideas! I can't wait to hear more about your plans and how things go when you start teaching in June!
    I've also thought about taking this idea to the classroom and teaching youngsters. I might be able to do so at our local Saturday school where I used to teach the older kids. But now that I'm learning so much German related to toddlers, I think I just might be able to pull it off. The only thing is that I think a lot of parents actually stay for the class, and so often I still get nervous speaking (let alone teaching!) in front of native speakers. We'll see. Maybe down the line....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, such cool ideas! Thanks for alerting me to your posts.

      Hey, I think you should totally go for it (teaching toddler Sat school)--there's already a structure, a location, interested parents....

      I can totally relate to the idea of being anxious about teaching in front of native speakers. But we do know that being able to speak a language in no way means that a person knows how to teach that language!

      Delete
  5. How exciting is this? I wish I had won. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiring post! And Gwynneth is just gorgeous! I wonder if there's some bonnet-loving common ground between us as francophiles...

    ReplyDelete