Sunday, August 12, 2007

books for babies

Check out these two short articles by my friend Estela, who is raising her one-year-old daughter with English and Spanish. She succinctly explains why it's so important to read to infants (but reassures readers that it's never too late to start) and gives advice on choosing board books for babies (pointing out, for example, that picture books with plots are not necessarily the best choice). Her ideas, of course, apply regardless of which language(s) you're using with your child. Thanks for the links, Estela! Keep reading, everybody!

5 comments:

  1. We started reading to Suzanne as soon as she could sit still for more than a minute without eating. It's now part of the daily routine and she'd much rather play with her books than her other toys.

    I agree with everything Estela wrote, especially about the disaster proof books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for reading for babies! Reb, do you read in both languages? Does she have a preference for books in one language?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only read in English. But with my husband and the sitter, she reads in French. I like to think she prefers English since it's the connection with me. But she probably doesn't care as long as it's a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah this refresh my motivation to read to start reading to Louise. I began to read to Joseph when he was 9 mo and it became a bed time ritual until now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree with Estela...oddly enough, the board books that I own are by Tina Hoban, Sandra Boynton, and Eric Carle. No Dr. Seuss, though...yet.

    ReplyDelete