Saturday, May 03, 2008

"Only Tatie sings 'Sur le pont'!"

Carl is getting picky about who speaks which language to him: his dad recently started singing "Sur le pont d'Avignon," and Carl glared at him and said "No! Only Tatie sings 'Sur le pont'!"

(Besides making me laugh, this comment also showed me that Carl knows this French folk song well enough to identify it by name, even though I can't remember ever explicitly telling him the title. In fact, I even change the lyrics when I sing it to him after his nap! But then again, as I noticed when he was a baby, he seems to prefer this tune over all other French songs!)

2 comments:

  1. I doubt he knows the name of the song; he just identifies it by the first words. He calls The Ash Grove "green valley" from the first line "Down yonder green valley...", for example. He does that for games too, which makes it hard for Mommy and Daddy to know what he wants when he asks for the "He he he!" game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then yesterday, Carl was drinking his milk, and he ordered "Tatie sing the 'Lait est bon' song!" This cracked me up--he's refering to a French drinking song called "Chevaliers de la table ronde" ("Knights of the Round Table") which I modified to sing to him when he drinks milk (I replace all references to "vin"--wine--with "lait"--milk--and also change "chevalier" to "Carlicot," my nickname for him.) This was the first time that he requested the milk drinking song by name.

    I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that he recently heard me singing it to Griffin while nursing? That time, Carl's head whipped around and he stared at me with an almost betrayed look in his eyes, as if to say, "Tatie, how dare you sing the song about me to someone else?!"

    ReplyDelete