Thursday, November 30, 2006

Petit Ours Brun (recommended French magazines for kids)

My colleague Mary just shared some resources with me, ones that her two French-speaking preschoolers love: Petit Ours Brun (Little Brown Bear), who appears in several French magazines for kids (Popi for ages 1-3 and Pomme D'Api for ages 3-7) and has his own website. The website, which serves mostly as promotion for the magazines, nevertheless has some age-appropriate activities; it also shows sample pages from the magazines. They look impressive to me--engaging, rich in vocabulary, lots of colors, each issue organized around a theme and also continuing some stories introduced in the previous issue. (And apparently Popi is printed on heavy cardboard paper and has gimmicks like flaps to lift.) A year's subscription of 12 issues is pricey, especially to ship to the US--around sixty euros--but I guess that's equivalent to buying 12 paperback kids' books. And it's still cheaper than buying even paperback kids' books in French from amazon.com--I've really had to search to find some for under $15 each. When I go to France this summer, I'll probably pick up an issue or two and then decide if it's worth subscribing to. (But the fact that Mary and her kids adore it is a pretty strong recommendation for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment